When scanning files or viewing PDF files in Document Management System (DMS), the program experiences significant slowdown on a Windows 7 64-bit system. Other applications are able to scan many pages with no decrease in speed. Other symptoms can include DMS locking up or hanging when attempting to save a scanned document.
The first Solution to try is to put DMS into Compatibility mode for Windows XP. See this article for instructions.
- Close DMS and any other scanner applications.
- Download the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.6.
- During the download, only check the ApplicationCompatibilityToolkitSetup.exe file.
- Install the Toolkit by running the file once downloaded.
- Go to the Start menu -> (All) Programs -> Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit -> Compatibility Administrator (32-bit).
- If you are on Windows 8, go to the Start Screen and type Compatibility Administrator and it will be in the search results.
- Once opened, click the Fix button on the toolbar.
- If the Fix button is not enabled, first click the New button to enable the Fix button.
- Enter the Program Name and Vendor - Document Management System and Intuit, Inc., respectively.
- Now click the Browse... button.
- Browse to the DMS installation folder, usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\DMS.
- If your issue is that DMS runs slowly when scanning, double-click DMS.EXE.
- If your issue is that DMS runs slowly when viewing PDFs, double-click PDFView.exe.
- If you are experiencing both issues, double-click DMS.EXE, we will have the option to add PDFView.exe in step 13.
- Now you can click Next.
- Do not select anything on the Compatibility Modes page, just click Next.
- On the Compatibility Fixes page, scroll down and checkmark GlobalMemoryStatus2GB and click Next.
- On the Matching Information screen there are several things that need to be unchecked, otherwise the fix will only affect the current version of DMS and will need to be redone if you download any updates:
- Uncheck BIN_FILE_VERSION="[##.#.#.#]"
- Uncheck BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="[##.#.#.#]"
- Uncheck PRODUCT_VERSION="[##.#.#.#]"
- Uncheck FILE_VERSION="[##.#.#.#]"
- If you need to correct both slow scanning and slow PDF viewing, click the Add File button and double-click on PDFView.exe. You will then need to scroll down and uncheck the same four items for the PDFView.exe file.
- Click Finish.
- Click the Save button on the toolbar.
- It will ask for a database name. Enter DMS Scan Fix or PDF View Fix depending on which file you selected and click OK. If you did both files, use DMS Scan Fix.
- It will ask for you to select a name and location for the database file itself.
- Browse to the DMS install folder again, usually C:\Program Files(x86)\Intuit\DMS.
- Enter the File name of DMSAppCompat and click Save.
- Click the File menu then Install...
- The message The database [------] was successfully installed should appear, click OK.
- Close the Compatibility Administrator and try scanning to DMS again.
- If there is no change, restart the computer and try again.
To remove the fix at a later time, you may use Programs and Features in the Control Panel to uninstall it. It will be listed as either DMS Scan Fix or PDF View Fix. This will not remove the database from the Compatibility Administrator, but the Compatibility Administrator may be used to reinstall the fix.