How do I attach a PDF file to a Federal or State individual return being e-filed?
You can attach a PDF file to a return either from the EF Center, or EF Clients HomeBase, or from within the return:
- Open or highlight the clients return and click on the E-File menu.
Note: When on the HomeBase screen be sure to select the Federal or State return row on the HomeBase screen to attach a PDF to either the Federal or State tax returns. When inside a client file the Federal return must be on screen to Attach a PDF to the federal return. Likewise when inside the client to attach a PDF to a state return the state return must be on screen.
- Select Attach PDF Files.
- When the Attach PDF Files window opens, click Add Attachment.
- Navigate to the location of the file you wish to attach, then select the PDF file, and click Open. The ProPDF folder is the default location when printing to PDF in the program.
- In the Type column, make your selection describing the PDF you are attaching.
- In this list, you will find brief identifiers of the allowed PDF attachments and based upon your selection, ProSeries will automatically fill in the required IRS descriptions.
- Click OK to close the window.
- In the EF Center, you'll see a paper clip icon in the PDF Attachments column on the row for the client.
- When the return is filed electronically, the attached PDF files will be sent with the return.
- If you selected Other in the Type column, enter a description of the attachment in the Form/Schedule and Description column.
- If you want to attach additional PDF files to the return, repeat steps 2-5.
- There is not an option to preview the attached PDF file nor to print the attached PDF with the return.
- PDF files are limited in size. The entire file, including PDF attachments, submitted via e-file is limited to 32 MB.
- PDF files cannot be attached to returns after they are transmitted for e-file.
- ProSeries 'Final Review' reports a PDF Attachment is Required for Electronic Filing
- Creating PDF Files of Tax Returns
- Attaching PDF Files to Business Returns for Electronic Filing
- Removing or Deleting PDF Attachments in ProSeries
- States that do not support PDF attachments in ProSeries Professional and Basic