How do I apply the overpayment generated by an amended individual form 1040X on line 22?
Follow these steps to apply an overpayment on Form 1040X:
- Navigate to Screen 59, Amended Return (1040X).
- Scroll down to the Miscellaneous Information section.
- Checkbox Apply 1040X overpayment to 20YY estimated tax.
- Scroll down to the Federal Income Tax Return section
- Enter the amount to be applied in, Overpayment applied to 20YY estimated tax (75).
Note: If the amount does not appear on the 1040X, continue to step 6.
- Navigate to Screen 7.1, 20YY Estimates (1040 ES).
- Enter the same amount in, Apply overpayment to 20YY (Ctrl+T or dollar amount) under the General Information.
- Eliminate any entry on Estimate Options (Ctrl+T), [code 14].
Form 1040X Instructions, Page 10:
If you elected to apply any part of an overpayment on your original return to your next year's estimated tax, you cannot reverse that election on your amended return.