How do I amend a prior year return using the input in the current year tax program?


Follow these steps to amend a prior year return using the input in the current year tax program:

  1. Process and print Form 1040 (and any applicable state returns) for the return as it was originally filed
  2. Create a New Client File in the current tax program (for the amended return)
  3. Go to Screen 59, Amended Return (1040X)
  4. Click on the Federal/state return(s) to amend (Ctrl+T) (Mandatory) drop down menu
  5. Type the year of the return that you want to amend in, Year to Amend
  6. Check the boxes next to the returns you want to amend (Federal and/or State)
  7. Click OK
  8. Scroll down to the Federal Income Tax Return section
  9. Enter the amounts from the original Form 1040 in the As Originally Reported column (Enter any state applicable information in the state amended screen.)
  10. Enter the amounts that are correct in the Correct Amount column  
Please note that this applies to the Federal Return and some State Returns.  Some state returns cannot be amended from within the current year tax program.  Please check with the state to see how it handles amended returns.
If no amounts are appearing on the return see the Form Instructions for which lines should be completed also see Form 1040X is Generating but Certain Lines are not Completed

Other Articles to Try:

Generating an Amended Individual (1040) Return (Click Here to view)