- Do I need to provide EFIN verification?
- Requirements for EFIN verification with IRS for ProConnect Professional Software.
- What to Submit for EFIN verification.
- How do I check my EFIN Status at IRS e-Services?
- Steps to Submit EFIN documents for verification.
- If you are new to e-filing with Intuit and have not previously submitted verification.
- If you have not previously submitted the Application Summary and have been approved.
- If you make changes to your EFIN Application Summary Information.
- When notified by email or by one of the e-file reject messages below.
- 853 Oops! The EFIN has not been registered to your Account!
- 854 Attention! Your E-filing privileges have been temporarily disabled by Intuit.
- Do not send verification if you only intend to paper file.
- Do not send verification if you have previously sent the Application Summary, are currently approved for e-filing (you are able to e-file successfully) and your EFIN Application DBA name and physical location and address are current.
New! If you would like to confirm if your EFIN is approved to electronically file through your Intuit professional tax software - Click here for information.
- One EFIN Per Firm Physical Location (as defined in IRS Pub. 3112).
- One Intuit Customer Account Number (CAN) Per Enrolled EFIN required.
- If more than one Firm shares a single Physical Location, Each Firm must have a separate Licensed Intuit CAN and a separate EFIN.
- Firm Name (DBA Name), Firm Physical Address, EFIN, and ERO Contact on the EFIN Application must match Software Licensed Firm Name and Physical Address, EFIN, and Contact Name.
- The EFIN status on the EFIN Application must be Active.
- The ERO status on the EFIN Application must be Accepted.
- Submit the "Application Summary" from the IRS e-Services website. Below is an example image of the Application Summary (Note, credentials for EFIN will need to be in an "Active" status, and Electronic Return Originator status must be "Accepted"):
- If you received an EFIN within the last 12 months, submit your EFIN Acceptance Letter.
What NOT to Submit. We do not need to see the following or similar forms:
- Your PTIN Registration.
- Your original Form 8633 Application
- Your EFIN Activity Report
- Your EIN Tax ID number
- Your e-Services Account Registration Information
Click here for instructions on how to access and print the Application Summary on the IRS e-Services site.For easy access directly to the login page click this link: Access e-file Application
For step by step navigation from the irs.gov home page:
- Go to www.irs.gov, then select Tax Pros.
- Under e-Services Applications, click Access e-Services button.
- Then click the E-file Provider Services link.
- Click on the Access e-File Application button.
- Log in to access the e-Services account or Sign Up if you haven't yet registered with e-Services.
- Select your Organization:
- Click Submit Selected Organization. You will then be directed to a page like this:
- Select View/Edit and you will be directed to your EFIN Application Summary:
- Select the Print button in the upper right of the form and print to .pdf format using your local print driver.
- Save the file of your EFIN Application Summary using the file name CAN XXXXXX EFIN Application Summary.pdf.
- Attach to your EFIN Verification Submission record for enrollment of the EFIN to your Intuit Account.
How do I check my EFIN Status at IRS e-Services?
The IRS recommends that you help safeguard your EFIN. During the filing season, check on your EFIN status to ensure that your EFIN is not being used by others improperly. Your e-file application will help verify the volume received by the IRS which you can match to your records. The statistics are updated weekly. Should you see a higher volume than you transmitted, please contact the IRS e-help Desk at 866-255-0654. NOTE: Do NOT submit the EFIN Status report to Intuit for verification. We require the Application Summary for verification.
Provide your EFIN Application Summary using the form provided on My Account. The steps to submit your documentation are:
- Sign into My Account.
- Once on the Dashboard, select the Account drop down and Account Details.
- Click Submit EFIN under the Tax Prep Credentials section.
- Enter your information on the form.
- Select the file to be uploaded showing your EFIN Application Summary.
- Agree to the terms and conditions shown at the bottom of the form.
- Click Submit.
Verify the Customer Account Number and EFIN in Options:
For Lacerte Users
- Open the Lacerte Tax program.
- Click the Settings menu and choose Options.
- Click the Firm Info tab at the top right corner of the Options window.
- The Lacerte Customer Number is the first field under the section Firm Information, verify this matches the customer account number submitted with the EFIN verification documents.
- The EFIN is the first field under the section Electronic Filing, verify the EFIN entered here matches the one on the document submitted for approval.
For ProSeries Users
- Open the ProSeries program.
- Click the Tools menu and select Options.
- On the right side of the Options window, click the button Customer Information.
- Verify the Customer Account Number and the zip code entered here match the customer number and zip code submitted with the EFIN verification documents.
- On the left side of the Options window, click Firm/Preparer Info.
- Verify the EFIN is entered in the Firm Information section and that it matches the EFIN on the documents submitted for approval.
When will EFIN documentation be processed?
- EFIN updates are usually made within 2 business days after submission. E-filing may be delayed until processing is complete.
EFIN Usage :
- Only one EFIN may be used to transmit returns from a software license. The EFIN is registered to the firm where returns are prepared. For more information, see IRS FAQs about Electronic Filing ID Numbers.
- Individual preparers are identified using separate PTINs (Preparer Tax Identification Number). See IRS PTIN FAQs for more information.
- The IRS recommends that you help safeguard your EFIN. During the filing season, check on your EFIN status to ensure that your EFIN is not being used by others improperly. Your e-file application will help verify the volume received by the IRS which you can match to your records. The statistics are updated weekly. Should you see a higher volume than you transmitted, please contact the IRS e-help Desk at 866-255-0654.
EFIN Name & Address must match Software License:
- It's important that the Name and Address on your Application Summary match the account information in your software license.
- By submitting your Application Summary as verification of your EFIN, you authorize Intuit to make changes to your Intuit account name and address to conform to the EFIN registration with the IRS and if you make changes to EFIN registration with IRS, please notify Intuit immediately by submitting a new EFIN verification.
- PO Boxes will not be approved for your firm address. The IRS requires a physical address on your EFIN Application and for ERO lookup purposes. Intuit requires your physical address for site licensing of the software in the End User License Agreement.
Regulatory requirement: IRS Publication 3112, page 12, requires e-file transmitters (Intuit) to verify the ERO's EFIN:
The document Intuit requires for EFIN verification is the "Application Summary" from the IRS e-Services website. Save