When can I begin e-filing Individual returns?
When can I begin e-filing Business returns?
What is the last date to submit an e-file return?
View E-file Start Dates for Tax Year 2017
For a complete list of 2017 Lacerte e-file agency approval and e-file start dates (Click Here) - Update for 2017
|IRS Open Date||Intuit ProConnect Lacerte Open Date|
|Filing Season Opens for Modernized e-file Business Returns||January 8, 2018||January 23, 2018|
|Filing Season Opens for Modernized e-file Individual Returns||January 29, 2018||January 29, 2018|
- Kentucky: Kentucky Tax Year 2016 Prior Year E-file
- Massachusetts: At this time, Lacerte does not support prior year e-file for MA returns.
View Last Dates for E-filing Individual Timely Filed Returns for Tax Year 2017
|Last date for transmitting timely filed return||4/18/2018|
|Last date for transmitting timely filed Forms 4868||4/18/2018|
|Last date for retransmitting rejected timely filed returns||4/22/2018|
|Last date for retransmitting rejected timely filed Forms 4868||4/22/2018|
|Last date IRS will accept test transmissions||No cut-off date|
|Last date to submit new IRS e-file Applications||No cut-off date|
|Transmitting timely filed Forms 4868 or 2350 to meet overseas exception||6/15/2018|
Re-transmitting rejected timely filed Forms 4868 or 2350 to meet overseas exception
|Last date for transmitting returns on extension from Form 4868||10/15/2018|
|Last date for re-transmitting rejected late or returns on extension from Form 4868||10/20/2018|
Iowa Individual and Business Return Perfection Period: 2017 Iowa - Important Update Regarding Rejects and Timeliness of Electronically Filed Returns
View Resubmission of Rejected Tax Returns (Perfection Period)
The IRS grants Business Returns the following Perfection period for re-submitting timely filed rejected returns:
"When a transmitted electronic business return is rejected, there is a ten-day Transmission Perfection Period (look back period) to perfect that return for electronic re-transmission. When a previously rejected electronic return is “Accepted” by the IRS within the ten-day Transmission Perfection Period, it will be deemed to have been received on the date of the first reject that occurred within that ten-day period. Publication 4163 has detailed perfection period information for MeF business returns. The Transmission Perfection Period for an extension to file, Form 4868, 7004 or 8868, is five days." Per Publication 4164, Page 17.
Business Returns- 10 calendar days to resubmit by e-file
Business Extensions- 5 calendar days to resubmit by e-file
The following transmission dates pertain to Individual Returns (Individual Perfection Period):
- April 22, 2018: Last day for retransmitting rejected timely filed Form 1040 family returns (Form 1040NR with effectively connected income).
- June 20, 2018: Last day for retransmitting rejected timely filed Form 1040 family returns (Form 1040NR with non-effectively connected income) and/or Form 4868 extensions to meet overseas exception and Form 2350.
- October 20, 2018: Last day for retransmitting rejected timely filed Form 1040 family returns (Form 1040NR with effectively connected income) on extension from Form 4868.
See Publication 1345 for additional information on transmission timeframes for individual returns/extensions.
Iowa Individual and Business Return Perfection Periods: 2017 Iowa - Important Update Regarding Rejects and Timeliness of Electronically Filed Returns
Note: With the IRS e-file deadline extended to April 18th, this does not affect the perfection period due dates. The perfection period due date remains the same.
View IRS Annual Maintenance E-File Shut Down Schedule
The IRS will shut down their e-file servers at the end of the year in order to prepare for the 2019 Filing Season (2018 Tax Year). The Intuit Electronic Filing Center will stop accepting e-file transmissions prior to the IRS shutdown to ensure that all received e-file submissions are received by the IRS before the shutdown.
After the this shut down, you will no longer be able to e-file Tax Year 2015 returns nor receive TY 2015 e-file acknowledgments. Tax Year 2016 and TY 2017 returns may continue to be e-filed when the 2019 filing season opens (2018 Tax Year).
|Individual||Saturday, November 17, 2018, at 11:59 PM EDT|
|Business||Wednesday, December 26, 2018, at 11:59 AM EDT*|
*Business Closure: 'Send Submissions' are scheduled to be accepted until 11:59 AM EDT. Intuit will continue to provide status/acknowledgment updates until 11:59 PM EDT. Any acknowledgments not retrieved by 11:59 PM EDT, December 26, 2018, cannot be accessed again until MeF opens for production January 8, 2019. Note: Returns transmitted after this time will not be turned away, instead they will be held until e-file re-opens for Tax Year 2017 and 2016 filings. 2018 E-file Start and Stop Dates for Federal Individual and Business (IRS business e-file opens January 8, 2019, Lacerte will post an in-product alert once business e-file goes live in 2017 and 2016. All acknowledgments will be updated at this time.)
Lacerte Estimated Payment Wizard: The Lacerte Estimated Payment Wizard is dependent on the IRS e-file open dates. Estimate payments may not be transmitted during shut-down periods. To view supported payment options for both Individual and Business returns, see Using the E-file Estimated Payment Wizard
Form 114: With the exception of Tax Year 2015, Form 114 - Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts FBAR will remain open during IRS MeF closure.
E-file Note: When the IRS shuts down for maintenance, transmission and e-file acknowledgments will be discontinued. On the day of closure, Lacerte will implement e-file blocking prior to closure in an effort to ensure any returns transmitted the day of closure are received by the IRS, as well as any pending status acknowledgments. Once e-file blocking has been implemented, a 'transmission failure' message will be received when attempting to e-file. (Any returns not picked up by the IRS, will eventually receive a reject acknowledgment indicating the return must be paper filed)
State Note: Any state differences will be noted if/when applicable.
- Philadelphia E-file: November 15, 2018, at midnight. These returns may be transmitted via Lacerte until 9:00 PM EST.
- Michigan Business E-file: December 20, 2018, at 6:00 AM EST and will continue transmitting acknowledgments through December 21, 2018, at 12:00 AM EST.
- California: California is not dependent on IRS shut down and will remain open for business filing.
- Texas: Texas is not dependent on IRS shut down and will remain open for business filing.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Can I e-file Prior Year Business Returns?
You can e-file the current year and two prior years for Business returns (after the IRS opens e-file for the current tax season).
- Can I e-file Prior Year Individual Returns?
You can e-file the current year and two prior years for Individual returns (after the IRS opens e-file for the current tax season).
- Business e-file returns have different filing season start and stop dates, as indicated above. Extension Form 4868 will be accepted for the current tax year only.
- FinCEN Form 114 is no longer supporting the old EF format, which is what Lacerte Tax Year 2016 and earlier provides. Beginning in Tax Year 2018, the 2016 FinCen Form 114 can be filed through January 2019, after this time the e-filing capability of this form will no longer be available in Lacerte. To e-file these prior year returns, please visit; https://www.fincen.gov/
- Did business return due dates change?
Yes, beginning in Tax Year 2016. While S-corporate returns remain the same, March 15, 2018 (fiscal year - 15th day of 3rd month following close of fiscal year), Partnerships are now due March 15, 2018 (fiscal year - 15th day of 3rd month following close of fiscal year) and C Corporations are now due April 15, 2018 (fiscal year - 15th day of 4rd month following close of fiscal year). Please see Business Return Due Dates Change.
Other Articles to Try:
- 2018 E-file Start and Stop Dates for Federal Individual Business Returns
- 2018 Lacerte E-file Agency Approval and E-file Start Dates
- Get Updated Information on Tax Forms Release Status
- 2017 Lacerte e-File Agency Approval and e-File Start Dates
- Form 114 FinCEN Foreign Bank Account Report (FBAR) FAQs
- Setup Electronic Payment of Amount Due with Return/Extension/Estimate
- Checking the Status of E-filed Returns
- Paper Filing Timely Filed Rejected E-filed Returns After Deadline
- Business Return Due Dates for Tax Year 2017
- Electronic Filing Deadlines for Individual Returns
- 2017 Individual State Due Dates