What are the start and stop dates for 2018 individual and business returns?
When can I begin e-filing Individual returns?
When can I begin e-filing Business returns?
What is the last date to submit an e-file return?
View E-file Start Dates for Tax Year 2018
For a complete list of 2018 Lacerte e-file agency approval and e-file start dates (Click Here)
|IRS Open Date||Intuit ProConnect Lacerte Open Date|
|Filing Season Opens for Modernized e-file Business Returns||January 8, 2019||January 22, 2019|
|Filing Season Opens for Modernized e-file Individual Returns||January 28, 2019||January 28, 2019|
- Kentucky: Kentucky Tax Year 2016 Prior Year E-file
- Massachusetts: At this time, Lacerte does not support prior year e-file for MA returns.
- IRS News Release IR-2019-01 IRS Confirms Tax Filing Season to Begin January 28
View Last Dates for E-filing Individual Timely Filed Returns for Tax Year 2018
|Last date for transmitting timely filed return||April 15, 2019|
|Last date for transmitting timely filed Forms 4868||April 15, 2019|
|Last date for retransmitting rejected timely filed returns||April 20, 2019|
|Last date for retransmitting rejected timely filed Forms 4868||April 20, 2019|
|Last date IRS will accept test transmissions||No cut-off date|
|Last date to submit new IRS e-file Applications||No cut-off date|
|Transmitting timely filed Forms 4868 or 2350 to meet overseas exception||June 15, 2019|
Re-transmitting rejected timely filed Forms 4868 or 2350 to meet overseas exception
|June 22, 2019|
|Last date for transmitting returns on extension from Form 4868||October 15, 2019|
|Last date for re-transmitting rejected late or returns on extension from Form 4868||October 20, 2019|
Iowa Individual and Business Return Perfection Period: Iowa Important Update Regarding Rejects and Timeliness of Electronically Filed Returns
Maine and Massachusetts Extended Due Date:
- Form 1040: If you live in Maine or Massachusetts, you have until April 17, 2019, because of the Patriots’ Day holiday in those states and the Emancipation Day holiday in the District of Columbia.
- Form 1041: If the estate or trust is located in Maine or Massachusetts, you have until April 17, 2019, because of the Patriots’ Day holiday in those states and the Emancipation Day holiday in the District of Columbia.
View Resubmission of Rejected Tax Returns (Perfection Period)
The IRS grants Business Returns the following Perfection period for re-submitting timely filed rejected returns:
"When a transmitted electronic business return is rejected, there is a ten-day Transmission Perfection Period (look back period) to perfect that return for electronic re-transmission. When a previously rejected electronic return is “Accepted” by the IRS within the ten-day Transmission Perfection Period, it will be deemed to have been received on the date of the first reject that occurred within that ten-day period. Publication 4163 has detailed perfection period information for MeF business returns. The Transmission Perfection Period for an extension to file, Form 4868, 7004 or 8868, is five days." Per Publication 4164, Page 17.
Business Returns - 10 calendar days to resubmit by e-file
Business Extensions - 5 calendar days to resubmit by e-file
The following transmission dates pertain to Individual Returns (Individual Perfection Period):
- April 20, 2019 (April 22, 2019, if you live in Maine or Massachusettes): Last day for retransmitting rejected timely filed Form 1040 family returns (Form 1040NR with effectively connected income).
- June 22, 2019: Last day for retransmitting rejected timely filed Form 1040 family returns (Form 1040NR with non-effectively connected income) and/or Form 4868 extensions to meet overseas exception and Form 2350.
- October 20, 2019: Last day for retransmitting rejected timely filed Form 1040 family returns (Form 1040NR with effectively connected income) on extension from Form 4868.
See Publication 1345 for additional information on transmission timeframes for individual returns/extensions.
Iowa Individual and Business Return Perfection Periods: Iowa Important Update Regarding Rejects and Timeliness of Electronically Filed Returns
View IRS Annual Maintenance E-File Shut Down Schedule
The IRS will shut down their e-file servers at the end of the year in order to prepare for the 2020 Filing Season (2019 Tax Year). The Intuit Electronic Filing Center will stop accepting e-file transmissions prior to the IRS shutdown to ensure that all received e-file submissions are received by the IRS before the shutdown.
After the this shut down, you will no longer be able to e-file Tax Year 2016 returns nor receive TY 2016 e-file acknowledgments. Tax Year 2017 and TY 2018 returns may continue to be e-filed when the 2020 filing season opens.
|Individual||To be announced later in the tax season|
|Business||To be announced later in the tax season|
See MeF Status Page for more information and exact dates of the IRS shutdown.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Can I e-file Prior Year Business Returns?
- Can I e-file Prior Year Individual Returns?
Individual Filing Example: When the IRS opens the Individual e-file servers for TY18 in early 2019, you will be able to e-file 2018, 2017, and 2016 Tax Returns. If a return is submitted after its applicable due date, it will be considered late. Once the IRS shuts down the MeF system in November 2019 for Individual returns, 2015 tax returns can no longer be transmitted.
- Note(s): Business e-file returns have different filing season start and stop dates, as indicated above. Extension Form 4868 will be accepted for the current tax year only.
- FinCEN Form 114 is no longer supporting the old EF format, which is what Lacerte Tax Year 2016 and earlier provides. To e-file these prior year returns, please visit; https://www.fincen.gov/
- Did business return due dates change?
- Does Lacerte comply with the "10 Business Day Rule," required by most States, related to the application of software updates?
- Tax Year 2018 E-filing Ten Business Day Rule
- Get Updated Information on Tax Forms Release Status
- 2018 Lacerte E-File Agency Approval and e-File Start Dates
- Form 114 FinCEN Foreign Bank Account Report (FBAR) FAQs
- 2017 E-File Start and Stop Dates for Federal Individual and Business Returns
- Setup Electronic Payment of Amount Due with Return/Extension/Estimate
- Checking the Status of E-filed Returns
- Paper Filing Timely Filed Rejected E-filed Returns After Deadline
- Business Return Due Dates for Tax Year 2018
- Electronic Filing Deadlines for Individual Returns
- 2018 Individual State Due Dates