To attach a PDF to the Federal e-file return:
- Go to Screen 4, Electronic Filing.
- Click on the PDF Attachment button.
- Click on the Attach PDF button.
- Select Browse Files.
- Click on the PDF to attach.
- Click on Open.
- Click on OK.
- Select the form/type to link the attachment to from the Link to form (defaults to main form) drop down menu.
To add multiple attachments:
- Click on Add under e-file Attachment section from the left navigation panel.
- Repeat steps 4 through 10 to attach another PDF.
- Note: The PDF will not be viewable from the Forms tab and will not print with the return. To confirm and print the PDF, click on View PDF then select File and Print from the Adobe PDF reader.
- Attaching PDFs to State returns is the same process as attaching PDFs to the Federal Return.
- If the state allows PDF attachments there will be a separate section for the state. Check the box, Send PDF attachment with [STATE] return, and select the appropriate option or enter the Form and line number on state return (this input varies from state to state).
- Diagnostics indicating an attachment is required may not clear once the attachment has been included. To verify the attachment has been included, select the "View PDF" button.
- If a specific option is available to identify the attachment, the diagnostic should clear, otherwise the program has no way to confirm the required attachment has been included.
- The attachment size per PDF is limited to 1.5MB, for a total limitation of 32MB.
- Once a PDF is attached, it will remain with the return until it is deleted.
See Related Video on Lacerte Attaching a PDF:
Want to learn more? Visit our online portal .
Other Articles to Try:
- See Individual Reporting Transactions on Form 8949 Similar to Prior Year Schedule D-1 for instructions on attaching Form 8949 as a PDF or paper filing with Form 8453.
- See Deleting a PDF Attachment From a Return to be E-Filed for instructions on removing a PDF attachment.
- See Printing and Saving a Tax Return as a PDF File to attach a Lacerte generated return as PDF.
- See Printing Specific Pages or Forms of Return to PDF to attach a Lacerte generated form as PDF.