Before you start:

We recommend creating a copy of the original return to save the entries as they were filed; however, printing or e-filing from the copied return will incur a new charge. You'll want to make changes, print, and e-file from the original return, while saving the copy for your records. See  Copying client returns in ProConnect Tax Online for instructions.

Follow these steps to amend a corporate return:

  1. Go to the Input Return tab.
  2. On the left-side menu, select Miscellaneous Forms.
  3. Click on Federal and General Information.
  4. Check the box Amending federal return (MANDATORY).
  5. Enter a 1 in 1=amending state return if applicable.
  6. Scroll down to the Miscellaneous Information section.
  7. Enter any items that apply.
  8. Scroll down to the Explanation of Changes section.
  9. Enter the Federal explanation of changes. This text will print on a statement with the return, and be included in the e-file.
  10. Scroll down to the Income Tax Return section.
  11. Complete the As Originally Reported column with the amounts from the 1120 that was previously filed.
  12. Leave the Correct Amount [Override] column blank unless absolutely necessary. Any entry in this column will stop the program's automatic calculations.
  13. Use the main input screens to make any applicable changes. For example, if amending to claim the Foreign Tax Credit, go to Credits > Foreign Tax Credit (1118) and enter the foreign taxes paid there.
When finished, go to the Check Return tab and verify that Form 1120X is generating the correct amounts. If you're e-filing the amended return, be sure to print another Form 8879-C and obtain an officer's signature. You should keep the 8879-C from the original return and the 8879-C from the amended return for your records.


Related Topics

Document ID: 000030754