Follow these steps to create Form 1040X:
- Go to your Tax Returns list.
- Click on New Return at the top right corner of your screen.
- Enter the client's basic information. First Name and Last Name are required entries.
- If the client is already present in your Client List, use the Select an existing client section at the top of this screen to select their name.
- Click the Save and Continue button at the bottom of your screen.
- Select 1040 - Individual for the return Type.
- Choose the return Year from the drop-down menu.
- Note: You can use the current year Form 1040 program to amend prior year returns, if desired.
- Click Save and Continue.
- On the Profile tab, un-check the Federal Select for E-file box. The IRS does not allow Form 1040X to be e-filed.
- Click Add a state return (if applicable).
- Go to the Input Return tab.
- On the left-side menu, click Miscellaneous Forms.
- Select General Information and Federal (1040X).
- Check the box Amending federal return.
- Enter the Year to amend (MANDATORY).
- Enter a 1 in 1=amending state return (if applicable).
- Fill any applicable items in the Miscellaneous Information section.
- Scroll down to the Explanation of Changes section and enter an explanation to print with the return.
- Scroll down to the Federal Income Tax Return section.
- Fill in the As Originally Reported column with the amounts from the previously filed 1040. These amounts will populate Form 1040X, column A.
- Fill in the Correct Amount [Override] column with manually calculated figures for Form 1040X, column C.
- Go to the Check Return tab and review the 1040X for accuracy.
Related TopicsAmending an individual return (1040X) originally prepared in ProConnect Tax Online
Frequently Asked Questions - Amended Returns
Penalties and Interest on Form 1040X
Applying an Overpayment to Estimated Tax on the 1040X Amended Return
Amending Form 1040NR
1040X Amended and Refundable Credits