How do I generate an amended return for Form 1040? Amending a 1040?
Before You Begin: It is recommended a client copy be created so you have the originally filed return as one client, and the amended as the other.
Follow these steps to create a copy of the return:
- Click on the Clients tab
- Highlight the client from the client screen
- Click on the Client dropdown menu
- Select Copy
- Enter the new Client number for copy in the Copy Client window
Recommendation: Enter the same client number with an X to indicate which client includes the amended information. For example, (original client number 0001, enter the new client number as 0001X).
Click OK to save the new copied return
Amending the Copied Return
Follow these steps to generate the Amended Return:
Go to Screen 59, Amended Return (1040X) (Before correcting the return)
Click on the Federal/State return(s) to amend (Ctrl+T) (MANDATORY) drop down menu
Select all Returns to Amend from the Amend Returns window
Click OK after selecting the Returns to Amend
Click OK to the Information window (verify the date and time indicated is correct before continuing)
- Note- After clicking OK to this Window, Lacerte will automatically bring over original amounts from the return into the Original Amounts column on Screen 59, Amended Return (1040X).
Go through the various input screens to make the necessary corrections (If the Wages were entered incorrectly on the original return, go to Screen 10, Wages, Salaries, Tips to correct the wage amount)
Note- Make sure the F4 status of the return is not marked as "Return Complete." The amounts will not auto-populate in this instance.
- Note- Make sure the F4 status of the return is not marked as "Return Complete." The amounts will not auto-populate in this instance.
Other Articles to Try:
Document ID: 000039000